There are many foods that are a threat to your oral health. In fact, some foods can damage your teeth and overall health putting your body at risk for serious problems. Having too much acidity in your body can be dangerous and cause a host of problems. That is why understanding which foods to avoid could help preserve your oral health and overall health.
Our dentist, Dr. Trevor Salmon, is happy to help explain to you more about your oral health. Furthermore, our team at Metro 1 Family Dental in Hyattsville, Maryland, is excited to share with you a list of foods and the reasons why they are unhealthy for your teeth.
Here is a list of foods that are unhealthy for your oral health:
– Hard candy, like candy canes, lollipops or jawbreakers, is known to chip and crack teeth and stick to your tooth enamel increasing the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
– Sour candy is nearly the same in acidity levels as car battery acid and very dangerous to your teeth.
– Chewy food, like gummy treats, will linger in your mouth long after you eat them because they stick to your teeth and can weaken your tooth enamel.
– Sugary food can eat through your tooth enamel causing them to decay, which is why it’s best to avoid sugary substances.
– Small popcorn kernels and popcorn balls can not only crack your teeth, but can become stuck between your teeth or deep in your gums causing a painful toothache.
If you feel it’s time for your teeth to get a professional cleaning and checkup, please call us today at 301-559-5435 to make an appointment. Our team is happy to review your oral health and help you with any questions or concerns you may have.